NSU IN THE NEWS is a snapshot of NSU media placements from October and early November 2019. The purpose of this recap is to keep you abreast of issues and media reports impacting the university and/or specific departments or centers. Click on the name of the media outlet to read their story – stories that appeared out of the South Florida media market are in red font (some links may have expired after this page was created.)
Below you’ll see stories that span the entire university – from a feature on the NSU Men’s Basketball Coach to researchers looking at the link between what goes on in your gut to how well you sleep at night to NSU being part of the 10 breakthrough innovations in breast cancer research. Overall:
- Print and broadcast stories related to NSU were circulated to approximately 42.3 million viewers;
- The estimated advertising value equivalency (AVE) of these stories is $11.6 million;
- For Unique Visitors Per Month (online), the potential viewership was approximately 8 billion.
Please visit the NSU’s Newsroom section of the university’s main website to view additional press releases, stories and more created by your media relations team. We encourage you to visit our Newsroom and subscribe to our RSS Feed so you can receive each of our news releases in real-time via email when they are distributed.
Tampa Bay Regional Campus
- Clearwater is Home to a New High-Tech Medical School
- Tampa Bay Newspapers (10/4/19)
- Captain Lee From ‘Below Deck’ Honors His Son’s Memory by Hosting Sallarulo’s Race for Champions at NSU
- ShowBiz Cheat Sheet (10/11/19)
- Golfer Headed to Nova Southeastern University Hall of Fame, featuring Taylor Collins
- Sun Sentinel (10/24/19)
- U.S. College Enrollment Keeps Falling, But Applications are Skyrocketing at These Schools
- USA Today (10/30/19)
- 79 Percent of Applicants to Nova Southeastern University Were Admitted for Fall 2018
- Florida Business Daily (10/10/19)
- Sun Sentinel 100, featuring Jennifer O’Flannery Anderson, Ph.D., VP of Advancement and Community Relations
- Sun Sentinel (10/11/19)
- Time to Act. Sign the Petition to Ban Assault Weapons., featuring Dr. George L. Hanbury, President of NSU
- Sun Sentinel (10/13/19)
- This is Why Nova Southeastern University Basketball is Getting Interest from NBA Coaches
- Miami Herald (10/22/19)
- Neon Toy Rifle Scares Students, Causes Lockdown on 3 College Campuses
- NSU Hosts Open Tryouts for Winning Baseball Team
- WPLG – Ch. 10 (10/2/19)
- RISE, NSU Complete Mako Hall
- Student Housing (10/16/19)
- 1.8 Percent of NSU Students Played Sport on University Teams in 2017-2018
- Florida Business Daily (10/24/19)
Health Professionals Division
College of Nursing
- FLH Medical Welcomes Hooker, Mejia to its Team
- Finger Lake Times (10/10/19)
College of Optometry
- Professor’s Research Underpins World Health Organization’s First Ever Report on Vision, featuring Janet Leasher, O.D., M.P.H., FAAO, FNAP
- Medical Xpress (10/9/19)
- Dr. David Dada, OD/BS, Answers Questions About Eye Health & His New Essential Eye Care & Optical Office
- The Apopka Chief (10/18/19)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Filled with Promise and Peril, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (10/1/19)
- October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (10/8/19)
- New Study on Slow Walkers, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (10/15/19)
- Pediatricians’ Want More Research on Artificial Sweeteners, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (10/29/19)
Dr. Pallavi Patel College of Healthcare Sciences
- U.S. Attorney Ariana Fajardo Orshan, NSU’s Create Program and Federal Task Force Host Human Trafficking Symposium
- STL News (10/16/19)
College of Pharmacy
- 10 Breakthrough Innovations in Breast Cancer Treatment and Research in South Florida, featuring Jean Latimer, Ph.D.
- Sun-Sentinel (10/1/19)
Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography
- Preliminary Research Finds That Poor Sleep May Have Negative Effect on Gut Health, featuring Dr. Jaime Tartar and Dr. Robert Smith
- This Deep-Sea Fish’s Expandable Stomach can Hold Huge Meals, featuring Dr. Tracey Sutton
- National Geographic (10/30/19)
- Whale Shark Seen off South Florida’s Coast; Species Being Studied by NSU Scientists
- Sun-Sentinel (10/23/19)
- NASA Releases New Guidelines for How to Keep Other Planets from Being Contaminated by Humans, referencing study by Dr. Jose Lopez
- Daily Mail (410/22/19)
- Guy Harvey, Shark Allies Want Tourists Enjoying Sea Creatures in Real Life, not Just Paintings, referencing NSU Guy Harvey Research Institute
- Florida Politics (10/18/19)
- UMaine Scientist to Lead Consortium on Such Migratory Fish as Tuna, Sharks, featuring researchers at NSU
- Researcher Suggests Sending Microbes to Planets Before Humans, featuring Jose Lopez, Ph.D.
- GenomeWeb (10/4/19); Anglican Cable Network Nigeria (10/3/19); Newstral (10/3/19); Medical Daily (10/2/19); Mirror.Com – UK (10/3/19); International Business Times – UK (10/2/19); International Business Times – Singapore (10/1/19); Metro – UK (10/1/19); Mashable – India (10/1/19); ScienceAlert (10/1/19)
- $15.5M to 4 Groups for Gulf of Mexico Research
- Nova Southeastern University Gets NOAA Grants
- Outdoor Wire (10/3/19)
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Supreme Court to Hear Dangerous Louisiana Abortion Case for Those Who Support a Woman’s Right to Choose, featuring Vicki Toscano, J.D., Ph.D.
- Sun Sentinel (10/15/19)
College of Psychology
- Letters to the Editor, featuring Amy Ellis, Ph.D.
- New York Times (10/1/19)
- Tyler Perry and his Sexual Trauma – What we can Learn from this, featuring Amy Ellis, Ph.D.
- The Hill (10/4/19)
- Oregon Schools Failing on Suicide Prevention, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
- In the Age of Mass Shootings, Terror Waits at the Mall, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
- Sun-Sentinel (10/18/19)
- Want Better Behaved Kids? Wake Them Up the Right Way, featuring Roseanne Lesack, Ph.D., BCBA-D, ABPP
- Moms.com (10/13/19)
Fischler College of Education and the School of Criminal Justice
- Paul Saunders Serving as First Deaf Principal at Alabama School for Deaf
- The Daily Home (10/15/19)
- Meet This Week’s Top Administrators
- Coastal Courier (10/23/19)
Shepard Broad College of Law
- Florida Senate Expected to Remove Broward County Sheriff in Vote Today, featuring Robert Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- Tampa Bay Times (10/23/19)
- Will Judge who Sent Juror to Jail Face Discipline, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- Palm Beach Post (10/11/19)
- He’s Accused of Beating a Peeping Tom to Death – is it a Case of Self Defense, featuring professor Shahabudeen Khan, J.D.
- Sun-Sentinel (10/22/19)
- Does Scott Israel’s Removal Rewrite the Rules for Florida’s Sheriffs?, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D.,LL.M.
- Miami Herald (10/22/19)
- Innovative Electives Part 1: Cutting Edge Topics and Cutting Edge Practice Areas
- LexBlog (10/21/19)
- Synergy: Expansion of Hard Rock Properties in Florida Benefit from the Super Bowl, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- CDC Gaming Reports (10/24/19)
Huizenga College of Business & Entrepreneurship
- NSU Appoints a New Dean of its Huizenga College of Business & Entrepreneurship, featuring Andrew Rosman, Ph.D.
- 5 South Florida Business Schools Aim to Broaden Their Appeal with Innovative, Flexible Programs
- Miami Herald (10/5/19)
Mailman Segal Center for Human Development
- Want Better Behaved Kids? Wake them up the Right Way, featuring Roseanne Lesack, PhD, BCBA-D, ABPP
- Moms (10/13/19)
Don Taft University Center
- The Venetian Arts Society presents legendary American dancer, Edward Villella
- City & Shore Magazine (10/4/19)
NSU’s Rose and Alfred Miniaci Center
- Musical Drama “Divided We Fall” Set to Thrill Audiences
- South Florida Caribbean News (10/1/19)
NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
- Critic’s Choice October 2019, featuring NSU Art Museum’s Happy! Exhibit
- Art Circuits (9/26/19)
- The Arts, Networking and Socializing: Young Professionals Build Community Through Culture, featuring One East Society
- Sun Sentinel (10/2/19)