NSU IN THE NEWS is a snapshot of NSU media placements from August and September 2019. The purpose of this recap is to keep you abreast of issues and media reports impacting the university and/or specific departments or centers. Click on the name of the media outlet to read their story – stories that appeared out of the South Florida media market are in red font (some links may have expired after this page was created.)
NSU is working with a new partner who disaggregates the data differently than we have in the past. Now we break down our potential audience into two categories – (1) those who could potentially see NSU-related stories via print or broadcast and (2) by potential audience who could see the stories online (global reach.) This is a more comprehensive review and shows just how far of a reach the stories have around the world.
- Print and broadcast stories related to NSU were circulated to approximately 10 million viewers;
- The estimated advertising value equivalency (AVE) of these stories is $3.5 million;
- For Unique Visitors Per Month (online), the potential viewership was approximately 3.1 billion.
Please visit the NSU’s Newsroom section of the university’s main website to view additional press releases, stories and more created by your media relations team. We encourage you to visit our Newsroom and subscribe to our RSS Feed so you can receive each of our news releases in real-time via email when they are distributed.
Tampa Bay Regional Campus
On Saturday, Sept. 13, Nova Southeastern University (NSU) celebrated its newest regional campus in Tampa Bay with a ribbon cutting event attended by nearly 600 people from across the region. This new campus was made possible via the involvement and partnership between NSU and Dr. Kiran C. and Pallavi Patel, Tampa Bay residents, and philanthropists.
- Tampa Bay Times
- Tampa Bay Business Journal
- Tampa Bay Business Journal – Photos from Ribbon Cutting Event
- WTVT – FOX13
- The Indian Panorama
- Headlinez Pro
- International Business Times (India)
- Republic World
- India Today
- The World News
- The New Indian Express
- The Tribune
- The Link Newspaper
- The Sunday Guardian
- India West
- India Abroad
- The American Bazaar
- Miami Beach is Waging War on Sea Rise. One Idea: Turn a Golf Course Into Wetlands, featuring NSU
- Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation to Honor NSU’s Dr. George Hanbury II During Banquet, featuring Dr. George Hanbury, NSU president
- Boy Who Survived Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas Gets Heartfelt Welcome from Classmates, featuring an NSU student
- BET (9/11/19)
- Indian-American Cardiologist Zachariah Zachariah Appointed to Florida Board of Medicine
- India West (8/30/19)
- 9 Best Things to do at an Airport Waiting out a Flight Delay, referencing NSU Center for Autism
- Business Insider (8/29/19)
- Back to School in Style, featuring dormroom makeover at NSU’s The Commons Residence Hall
- WPLG Ch. 10 (8/23/19)
- How to Move a Co-Sleeping Toddler Into Their own Bed, featuring Roseanne Lesack, Ph.D.
- Yahoo Lifestyle (8/7/19)
- Mom with Two Children Earns Two Degrees, featuring
- Take-a-Ways from Tallahassee – DeSantis (The Shark) is Back, featuring NSU’s GHRI Shark Race for the 2018 Elections
- Florida Politics Blog (9/28/19)
Health Professionals Division
College of Dental Medicine
- 4 Myths About Cavities You Should Know
College of Nursing
- Nova Southeastern University Programs Help Address Projected Nursing Shortage in U.S.
- South Florida Business Journal (8/15/19)
College of Optometry
- Hit Hard Against Uveitis, featuring assistant professor Jessica Steen, O.D.
- Review of Optometry (9/15/19)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
- Guide to Health Care: South Florida Medical Schools Encounter Physician Shortage, featuring Johannes Vieweg, M.D.
- South Florida Business Journal (9/13/19)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
- New Cases of Dengue Fever Reported in South Florida, featuring Bindu Mayi, M.Sc., Ph.d.
- Along with Destruction, Hurricanes can Bring Diseases and Infection, featuring Bindu Mayi, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- Sun Sentinel (9/17/19)
- Asthma Peak Week, featuring Dr. Deborah Ann Mulligan
- WIOD (9/17/19)
- Flying with the Flu, featuring Dr. Deborah Ann Mulligan
- WIOD (9/24/19)
- Kiran C. Patel High School Opens in Temple Terrace, references NSU’s. Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Tampa Bay Business Journal (8/6/19)
- Guide to Health Care: South Florida Medical Schools Encounter Physician Shortage, featuring Elaine Wallace, D.O., M.S., M.S., M.S., M.S.
- South Florida Business Journal (9/13/19)
Dr. Pallavi Patel College of Healthcare Sciences
- 9 Best Things to do at an Airport When Waiting Out a Flight Delay, featuring NSU’s Center for Austism
- Business Insider (8/31/19)
College of Pharmacy
- Dr. Michelle Clark, Named New Dean of Nova Southeastern University, College of Pharmacy in Florida
- One NSU Pharmacist is Advocating for Florida’s Bills to Lower the Price of Insulin, featuring Scott Kjelson, Pharm. D., C.Ph.
- WLRN (9/30/19)
Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography
- From Tiger Scat to DNA to – Hopefully – Survival, featuring Stephen O’Brien, PhD.
- Knowable Magazine (9/17/19)
- Mako Sharks Gain International Protections under CITES
- One of Shark Week’s Fastest Stars May Not Outswim Extinction, featuring NSU’s GHRI
- Forbes (8/1/19)
- NSU Researcher Urges Use of Microbes for Space Colonization, featuring Jose Lopez, Ph.D.
- ScienMag (9/23/19); AstrobiologyWeb (9/25/19); Futurism (9/27/19); The Daily Herald (9/28/19); Uncommon Descent (9/28/19); MSN- UK (9/28/19); International Business Times (9/30/19); Elexonic (9/29/19) The Daily Mail – UK (9/28/19); W3LiveNews – Australia (9/28/19); Gizmodo (9/27/19); Metro UK (9/30/19)
- $5 Million Grant to Protect Coral Reefs, Combat Invasive Species, featuring NSU’s National Coral Reef Management Fellowship Program
- Saipan Tribune (9/19/19)
- Brewing Tropical Storm Hampers Cleanup of Bahamas Oil Spill Caused by Dorian, featuring Dr. Dorothy Renegar
- Sun-Sentinel (9/14/19)
- Sea Turtle Found Shot with Spear off Florida Keys, references NSU
- Miami Herald (9/11/19)
- Sea Turtle Hatchlings in Broward Have a Longer Way to Climb After Hurricane Dorian, featuring Ph.D. student Glenn Goodwin and the Broward County Sea Turtle Conservation Program
- WLRN (9/9/19)
- The Art of Conservation: Guy Harvey and Kent Ullberg View Art as a Way to Effect Change, referencing NSU’s Guy Harvey Research Institute
- Corpus Christi Caller-Times (9/5/19)
- The Physics of Epilepsy, featuring Dr. Louis Nemzer
- PhysicsWorld (9/2/19)
- The Jury is Still out on How Bad Sunscreens are for Corals, featuring Dorothy Renegar, Ph.D.
- Gizmodo (8/31/19)
- Mystery Disease is Killing Caribbean Corals, featuring NSU’s Karen Neely
- Science News for Students (8/29/19)
- Florida Scientists Prompt Spawning of Atlantic Coral in Artificial Setting for First Time, references NSU
- Residents in Plantation Neighborhood Concerned with Blue-Green Algae in Waterways, featuring Jose Lopez, Ph.D.
- How to Handle a Massive Seaweed Invasion? Yucatan Towns get Creative, featuring NSU
- KCBX (8/18/19)
- Scientists at NSU’s Guy Harvey Research Institute Use Tracking Tags to Learn More About Whale Sharks
- Scientists May Have Found Effective Treatment for Diseased Florida Corals, featuring researcher Kevan Macaulay
- WMNF – Tampa (8/8/19)
- Disaster Under the Waves: A New Disease is Wiping Out Coral, featuring NSU researchers Emily Hower and Karen Neely
- The New York Post (9/28/19); NBC News Online (9/27/19); Reuters (9/26/19); The Weather Network (9/26/19); ABC (9/26/19); Yahoo News UK (9/26/19); National Post (9/26/19); Sight Magazine (9/29/19); Devdiscourse (9/29/19); Sky Statement (9/27/19); South Florida Reporter (9/27/19); The Weather Network (9/26/19); WABX-FM, IA (9/26/19); National Post (9/26/19); WHBL News, WI (9/26/19)
- Hurricanes: Improving Rapid Intensification Predictions, featuring Alexander Soloviev, Ph.D.
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Eighteen years later: Talking about 9/11 at UMass, featuring Cheryl Duckworth, Ph.D
- The Massachusetts Daily Collegian (9/11/19)
- Democratic Presidential Hopefuls Gear Up for 3rd Debate, featuring Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- Democratic Debate Analysis, featuring Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- Univision (9/13/19)
- Concerns Over Aviation Security After Worker’s Ties to Terrorism, featuring Dustin Berna, Ph.D.
- NBC6 Miami (9/19/19)
- Acting Spy Chief Won’t Say if he Talked to Trump About Ukraine Complaint, featuring Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- Univision (9/27/19)
College of Psychology
- This is How Sexual Abuse Against Gay and Bi Men Brings Unique Stigma and Harm, OpEd featuring Amy Ellis, Ph.D.
- Pink News (9/1/19)
- Helping Children Make Sense of School Shootings, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
- Sun-Sentinel (8/5/19)
Shepard Broad College of Law
- An On-the-Rise Surprise: Florida Bar Exam Results Are Up Over Last Two Years
- Antonio Brown’s Accuser Didn’t go to Florida Police, Officials Say, featuring Robert Jarvis, J.D.
- Sun-Sentinel (9/11/19)
- How Can You be Sure the Deliveryman Isn’t a Killer? Mostly, You Can’t, featuring Michael Flynn, J.D.
- Blockbuster Development in Scott Israel Case – What Happens Now, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D.
- Sun-Sentinel (9/26/19)
Mailman Segal Center for Human Development
- How to Move a Co-Sleeping Toddler into Their Own Bed, featuring Roseanne Lesack, PhD, BCBA-D, ABPP
- Yahoo (8/7/19)
Don Taft University Center
- The Venetian Arts Society Presents Edward Villella
- City & Shore (9/13/19)
NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
- Masterworks in a Selfie World, a Study of Florida Museums
- Flamingo Magazine (8/26/19)
- Under the Lights by FOX Sports Florida, featuring USchool Football’s Week 4 Game
- FOX Sports Florida (9/17/19)