NSU IN THE NEWS is a snapshot of NSU media placements from November and December 2019. The purpose of this recap is to keep you up-to-date on issues and media reports impacting the university and/or specific departments or centers. Click on the name of the media outlet to read their story – stories that appeared out of the South Florida media market are in red font (some links may have expired after this page was created.)
For this time period:
- Potential Reach of stories related to NSU were circulated to approximately 2 million viewers;
- The estimated advertising value equivalency (AVE) of these stories is $3.4 million;
- For Unique Visitors Per Month (online globally), the potential viewership was approximately 8 billion.
There were a couple of situations that were a bit out of the ordinary involving NSU that garnered media attention.
- The first involved an incident where someone was posting hateful and threatening videos online, shot at various locations in South Florida, including NSU’s Fort Lauderdale/Davie campus. As news was breaking, it was determined that it was a NSU Public Safety Officer who noticed this individual, approached him and working with Davie PD, issued a trespass warning. Davie PD then provided information to the F.B.I., which discovered this person was wanted. As the media calls started pouring in, NSU Media Relations staff worked to the media knew that it was due to the quick action of NSU’s PSD Officer and the outstanding relationship we have with Davie PD that this person was apprehended and a potentially dangerous situation was prevented.
- The second situation involved the Number 1 ranked NSU Men’s Basketball team. Unfortunately, during a game against St. Leo University, one of the opponent’s players took a vicious “cheap shot” against an NSU player, which was caught on video. While no foul was called during the game, there was a video that went viral, as these things tend to do, and subsequently the St. Leo player was suspended by his team.
You’ll find the links to these stories, and a host of others involving NSU, below.
Please visit the NSU’s Newsroom section of the university’s main website to view additional press releases, stories and more created by your media relations team. We also encourage you to visit our Newsroom and subscribe to our RSS Feed so you can receive each of our news releases in real-time via email when they are distributed.
Tampa Bay Regional Campus
- Medical School Boom Brings Top Technology to Tampa Bay Area
- FOX 13 (12/10/19)
- Teaching for a Global Reach, featuring Jeannie Jaworski
- Florida Trend (11/7/19)
- JScreen Provides Education, Genetic Screenings at Nova Southeastern University
- Sun Sentinel (11/13/19)
- Lorraine Thomas, widow of Wendy’s Founder Dave Thomas, Dies
- Sun Sentinel (11/25/19)
- Sallarulo’s Race for Champions Unifies Community with Special Olympians
- NSU Trustee Appointed to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Advisory Council, featuring Dr. Zachariah P. Zachariah
- South Florida Hospital News (12/2/19)
- This is Why the NSU Women’s Team is Heating Up in the Playoffs
- Miami Herald (12/4/19)
- Mobilite to Deploy Campus-Wide Wireless Network for NSU
- In-Building Tech (11/26/19)
- Veterans Access Clinic to Open in January
- Spot On Florida (11/18/19)
- St. Louis Cardinals Pitcher and Four Others Join the NSU Athletics Hall of Fame
- Miami Herald (11/6/19)
- College Basketball Player Suspended for Brutal Cheap Shot to NSU Player During Game
- Florida Man Posts Videos Threatening to Burn Blacks, Killing Others, Feds Say
Health Professionals Division
- Hundreds in Jamaica Receive Free Health Services
College of Nursing
- Mother and Daughter, joint NSU Nursing School Grads, Open Plantation Clinic
- WSVN (11/29/19)
College of Dentistry
- In Miami-Dade, Hispanics Visit the Dentist Less Than any Other Ethnic Group, featuring Claudia Serna, Ph.D., D.D.S., M.P.H., MCHES, CPH
- Miami Herald (12/11/19)
College of Optometry
- Eating for Your Eyes, featuring professor Lori Vollmer, O.D.
- American Optometric Association (11/18/19)
- Know What Common Glaucoma Mistakes to Avoid, featuring Joseph Sowka, O.D., FAAO
- Optometry Times (11/22/19)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
- Medical School Focuses on Patients, Teamwork and Problem Solving, featuring Johannes W. Vieweg, M.D., FACS
- South Florida Hospital News (11/01/19)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Pediatricians Want More Research on Artificial Sweeteners, featuring Deborah Anne Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (11/5/19)
- Risk of Germ that Closed Penn Dutch Prompts State Action, featuring Bindu Mayi, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- NBC 6 (11/14/19)
- Pickle Juice is a Big Dill for Athletes. Here’s Why They’re Chugging It, featuring Marilyn Gordon, Ed.D., RDN, CSS, LDN
- Geriatric Care, a New School, Entrepreneurial Funding and AI
- South Florida Business and Wealth (12/9/19)
Dr. Pallavi Patel College of Healthcare Sciences
- Smart Gyms Come to South Florida as Fitness Goes High Tech, featuring associate professor Jose Antonio, Ph.D., FNSCA, FISSN, CSCS
- Sun Sentinel (11/29/19)
College of Pharmacy
- Is Coloring Your Hair Safe? Study Links Chemicals in Dye, Straighteners to Breast Cancer, featuring Jean Latimer, Ph.D.
- Sun Sentinel (12/6/19)
Ron and Kathy Assaf College of Nursing
- Great Thanksgiving Banquet and Street Outreach to Feed the Homeless on Thanksgiving
- Caribbean National Weekly (11/23/19)
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
The following stories feature Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- Do Trump Rallies Give Republican Candidates a Boost?
- President Trump Bringing “Keep America Great” Homecoming Rally to South Florida
- Political Scientist Shares His Insight on Latest Developments in Impeachment Inquiry
- CBS4 (11/18/19)
- Talking Impeachment Inquiry Developments with Political Science Professor
- Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg Enters U.S. Presidential Race
- Newburgh Gazette (11/27/19)
College of Psychology
- The Sexual Abuse of Sexual and Gender Minorities, featuring Amy Ellis, Ph.D.
- The Good Men Project (11/12/19)
- Doctors, Attorneys Debate Convicted Murderer Michael Jones’ Brain Ahead of Sentencing, featuring professor Steven Gold, Ph.D.
- Vero News (11/14/19)
- Suicide Prevention: What to Do?, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
- A New York Village Averted a Potential School Shooting – Parents are Still Furious, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
- USA Today (12/2/19)
Fischler College of Education and the School of Criminal Justice
- My Addiction to Research Chemicals, featuring epidemiologist Jim Hall
- The Fix (11/19/19)
Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography
- Residents Upset, Want Answers as Dead Fish Keep Popping Up in South Florida Lakes, featuring David Kerstetter, Ph.D.
- WPLG Local 10 (11/20/19)
- This Mako Shark’s 5,000-mile Sprint In Just 142 Days Has Scientists in Awe
- Spring Hill Insider (12/12/19)\
- How Advancements in DNA Technology can Help Save the Tigers, featuring Stephen J. O’Brien, Ph.D.
- The Week Magazine – UK (12/1/19)
- New Study Looks at Potential Danger in Airline Drinking Water, featuring Robert Smith, Ph.D.
- CBS4 – Miami (11/28/19)
- Gut Microbiome Diversity Associates with Sleep Quality in Health Adults, featuring Robert Smith, Ph.D. and Jaime Tartar, Ph.D. from NSU College of Psychology
- Gut Microbiota for Health, European Society of NeuroGastroenterology (11/18/19); Sleep Review Magazine (11/9/19); Health Central (11/7/19); AJMC (11/3/19)
- Mote Teams up to Research Sharks and Other Migratory Species
- Longboat Key News (11/4/19)
- This Turtle was Speared Through the Neck
- Below Caribbean Waves, ‘a huge disaster’: Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease Attacks Reefs, featuring Karen Neely
- Washington Post (12/17/19)
Shepard Broad College of Law
- If You Were Shocked by Kodak Black’s Prison Term, Wait and See What Comes Next, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D.,LL.M.
- Sun Sentinel (11/14/19)
- Florida Sports Betting Bills are Set to See the Sunshine in 2020, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- SportsBetting (11/19/19)
- MSD Student Who Witnessed Shootings Asks Judge for Protective Order to Avoid Deposition in Criminal Case, featuring associate professor Shahabedeen Khan, J.D.
- CBS 4 (11/22/19)
- DeSantis is Reshaping Florida’s Courts — with the Federalist Society’s Help, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D.,LL.M.
- Miami’s Top Federal Prosecutor Makes Rare Appearance in Court – For a Minor Traffic Case, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- Miami Herald (11/12/19)
- NSU Law Palm Beach Alums Donate for Toys for Tots
- The Florida Bar (12/17/19)
NSU’s Alvin Sherman Library
- “Women and Children of the Holocaust” on Display at NSU
- Sun Sentinel (11/1/19)
NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
- NSU Art Museum Announces New Board Chair: Francie Bishop Good
- ArtFix Daily (11/21/19)
- Citylicious November 2019, featuring Happy Exhibit
- Delta Sky Magazine (11/2019)
- Meet the Face Behind NSU Art Museum’s One East Society, featuring McHenley Castillo
- Gold Coast Magazine (11/2019)
- Bonnie Clearwater Answers All Our Questions
- City & Shore (11/2019)
- NSU Art Museum Gets Happy
- City & Shore (11/2019)
- Pharrell Williams Surprises Students at “Happy” Exhibit
- WSVN – Miami (12/4/19)