NSU IN THE NEWS is a snapshot of NSU media placements from late December 2019 – early February 2020. The purpose of this recap is to keep you up-to-date on issues and media reports impacting the university and/or specific departments or centers. Click on the name of the media outlet to read their story – stories that appeared out of the South Florida media market are in red (some links may have expired after this page was created.)
For this time period:
- Potential Reach of stories related to NSU were circulated to approximately 5.7 million viewers;
- For Unique Visitors Per Month (online globally), the potential viewership was approximately 1.18 billion;
- The estimated advertising value equivalency (AVE) of these stories is $1.8 million.
Some of the story highlights include:
- Alarming Test Results Show Shopping Cart Handles Have Incredibly High Bacteria Levels, by WPLG Ch. 10
- Smart-home Devices Could be Easy to Hack, Here’s How to Protect Yourself by Arizona Daily Sun and South China Morning Post
- Open Sores, Low Numbers Likely Not Invasive Lionfish’s End by Washington Post, The New York Times and KATC – LA
You’ll find the links to these stories, and a host of others involving NSU, below.
Please visit the NSU’s Newsroom section of the university’s main website to view additional press releases, stories and more created by your media relations team. We also encourage you to visit our Newsroom and subscribe to our RSS Feed so you can receive each of our news releases in real-time via email when they are distributed.
Tampa Bay Regional Campus
- Year in Review: High-tech University Opens Its Doors
- Tampa Bay Newspapers (12/26/29)
- Bills Propose Sweeping Changes to Use of Baker Act in Florida Schools, featuring Carly Paro-Tompkins, Ed.D.,LMHC
- Tampa Bay Times (1/13/20)
- Broward Special Olympics Basketball Game Brings Hoopsters Together
- Sun Sentinel (12/29/20)
- Departures of Two Highly Successful Coaches Shakes Up Local College Baseball Scene, featuring new NSU head coach Laz Gutierrez
- Miami Herald (1/20/20)
- The Royal Dames 50th Annual Tiara Ball
- The Boca Voice (1/7/20)
- Super Bowl Related Event in South Florida
- United Way Day of Caring Volunteers Prepare 300,000 Meals
- Sun-Sentinel (12/31/19)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
- 59 Symptoms to Never Ignore, featuring Vijay Rajput, M.D.
- The Healthy (12/1/19)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
- You are what you Eat, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (1/28/20)
- South Florida’s Coronavirus Protections, featuring Bindu Mayi, Ph.D.
- WLRN (1/29/20)
- Doctors Pushing for Quick Test for Coronavirus, featuring Bindu Mayi, Ph.D.
- Sun Sentinel (1/31/20)
- Polk Dr. Shortage: Growing Number of Osteopathic Physicians Could Help Ease Deficit
- The Ledger (1/7/20)
Dr. Pallavi Patel College of Healthcare Sciences
- UM-NSU CARD Launches Free Early ASD Screening and Parent Coaching Program
- South Florida Hospital News (1/1/20)
- Sex is Better if You Exercise, featuring Lia Jiannine, Ph.D., CSCS
- Elemental (1/13/20)
College of Computing and Engineering
- New Dean Named for NSU’s College of Computing and Engineering, featuring Meline Kevorkian, Ed.D.
- Smart-home Devices Could be Easy to Hack, Here’s How to Protect Yourself, featuring Yair Levy, Ph.D.
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Russia May Be Ultimate Winner in U.S.-Iran Conflict, guest editorial by Dustin Berna, Ph.D.
- Orlando Sentinel (1/11/20)
- Political Science Professor Breaks Down Phase 1 of Senate Impeachment Trial, featuring Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- CBS 4 (1/21/19)
- Gaetz: Impeachment a Democratic Addiction, featuring Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- WUWF TV (2/4/20)
College of Psychology
- New Jersey Schools are Failing After Teen Suicides. Here’s How to Fix the Tragic After Math, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
- NJ.com (12/30/19)
- Teen Suicides and Firearms: Report Finds Prevention Efforts Avoid Talks of Guns, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
- Phoenix 911 Dispatchers Face Trauma, PTSD – But Aren’t Classified as First Responders, featuring PTSD Research Study conducted by Kristin Klimley, Vincent B. Van Hasselt, Ph.D., Ashley Stripling, Ph.D.
- KJZZ – Arizona (12/30/19)
- Teen Moodiness or Dangerous Depression?, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
Fischler College of Education and the School of Criminal Justice
- Five Finalists Announced for Limestone Superintendent, featuring alumni James W. Cantrell
- The News Courier (1/14/20)
- Nash-Rocky Mount School System Names New Superintendent, featuring Steve Ellis, Ed.D.
- Woman, 23, First to Die After Taking Dangerous Drug Flakka, featuring epidemiologist Jim Hall
- MyLondon (25/3/20)
- Lethal Zombie Drug Has Arrived in Plymouth, featuring epidemiologist Jim Hall
- The Herald (2/3/20)
Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography
- Open Sores, Low Numbers Likely Not Invasive Lionfish’s End, featuring Matthew Johnston, Ph.D.
- Alarming Test Results Show Shopping Cart Handles Have Incredibly High Bacteria Levels, featuring Robert Smith, Ph.D.
- WPLG Ch. 10 (2/3/20)
- Sewage Spills a Toxic Stew Just Waiting to Infect People and Pets, featuring Robert Smith, Ph.D.
- Sun-Sentinel (1/3/20)
- Guy Harvey Foundation Applauds Signing of Shark Fin Trade Legislation in New Jersey, featuring Guy Harvey Research Institute
- CityBizList (1/22/20)
- Florida’s Coral Reef Set to Receive Help Care of Super Bowl LIV
- Activists Get Green Light to Fight Deadly Coral Disease, featuring Karen Neely
- All We Can Do is Watch Our Reefs Die, featuring Karen Neely
- Turks and Caicos Weekly News (12/23/19)
- Veterans Heal by Helping Damaged Coral Reefs in Florida Keys Heal, Too
- Miami Herald (1/13/20)
- Ron DeSantis Kicks Off 100 Yards of Hope to Preserve Coral Reefs, Honor NFL Centennial
Shepard Broad College of Law
The Following Stories Feature Bob Jarvis, J.D.,LL.M.
- Push is on to Legalize Sports Betting in Florida in 2020
- People Say Crazy Stuff Everyday, Here is Why Some Get Prosecuted for It, also featuring James B. Levy, J.D.
- Strummer Holidays! The Guitar-shaped Hotel Where the Party Never Stops
- Yahoo News (1/21/20)
- Fans Defend Philadelphia Flyers Mascot After Claim that he Punched Boy
- Finalist Nominated for Supreme Court Couldn’t Take Job for Six Months
- Administration Eyes Changes to Environmental Enforcement, featuring Joel Mintz, J.S., J.S.D., LL.M.
- E&E News (1/30/20)
Huizenga College of Business & Entrepreneurship
- NSU’s Complex Health Systems Program Training Future Leaders to Be Agents of Change, featuring Francois Sainfort, Ph.D.
- South Florida Hospital News (1/1/20)
NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
- Pharrell Williams Gets “Happy with Broward Students at NSU Art Museum
- NSU Art Museum Spotlights Works by KAWS, FriendsWithYou & More in “Happy!” Exhibit
- Hypebeast (12/4/19)
- NSU Art Museum’s “Happy!” Goes Deeper Than Its Title
- Boca Magazine (12/18/19)