NSU IN THE NEWS is a snapshot of NSU media placements from February, March and early April 2020. The purpose of this recap is to keep you up-to-date on issues and media reports impacting the university and/or specific departments or centers. Click on the name of the media outlet to read their story – stories that appeared out of the South Florida media market are in red (some links may have expired after this page was created.)
For this time period:
- Potential Reach of stories related to NSU were circulated to approximately 31.3 million viewers;
- For Unique Visitors Per Month (online globally), the potential viewership was approximately 810.4 million;
- The estimated advertising value equivalency (AVE) of these stories is $2.6 million.
With the COVID-19 pandemic, NSU experts have been featured in numerous related stories, both print and broadcast. We have created a special section that features a sampling of the NSU-related COVID-19 stories; additional stories can be found in the “normal” long list below.
Please visit the NSU’s Newsroom section of the university’s main website to view additional press releases, stories and more created by your media relations team. We also encourage you to visit our Newsroom and subscribe to our RSS Feed so you can receive each of our news releases in real-time via email when they are distributed.
- Deborah Anne Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP, was featured in several media stories
- Bindu Mayi, M.Sc., Ph.D., has been featured in numerous media stories
- Heard on Sundial, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D., and Bindu Mayi, M.Sc., Ph.D
- WLRN (3/26/20)
- South Florida Universities Cancel Study Abroad Programs in Anticipation of Coronavirus Spread
- WSVN (2/23/20)
- Wasserman Schultz, Deutch Hold Coronavirus Round Table at NSU
- Here’s Why Florida Won’t Say How Many COVID-19 Take Place in a County, featuring Marilyn Uzdavines, J.D.
- Florida Today (3/12/20)
- We Should Talk to Our Children About the Coronavirus, Op-Ed featuring Gene Cash, Ph.D.
- Sun Sentinel (3/17/20)
- How a Coronavirus Recession Could be Disastrous for Uber and Lyft Drivers, featuring Jon Garon, J.D.
- Think You’re Isolated During the Pandemic? Just ask an Addict, featuring Jim Hall
- Florida Bulldog (3/24/20)
- Coronavirus Cause for Concern Among Burn Pit Veterans, featuring Nancy Klimas, M.D.
- Fox News (3/26/20),
- South Florida Colleges Embrace Uncharted Online Learning, featuring Andrew Rosman, Ph.D.
- South Florida Business Journal (3/27/20)
- How are you Doing? I’m a Mess, Thanks, featuring Tara Jungersen, Ph.D., LMHC, CCMHC, NCC
- Vice News (3/31/20)
- Some Gulf War Veterans Could Be at Higher Risk for COVID-19, featuring Nancy Klimas, M.D.
- Connecting Vets (3/31/20)
- One Benefit from the Coronavirus Closing Beaches? There’s Hope for a Strong Turtle Nesting Season
- Sun Sentinel (4/1/20)
- 4 Ways Coronavirus is Straining Charities and How You Can Help Now, featuring Charles Snyder, M.A., MFA
- MoneyWise (4/1/20)
- Coronavirus Ends Some Lee County College Athletes Careers
- The News Press (3/20/20
- Coronavirus: Florida Says it Can’t Reveal Information, but Experts Disagree, featuring Daniel Daws
- Sun-Sentinel (2/6/20)
Tampa Bay Regional Campus
- George L. Hanbury II Shares Insights on NSU’s Dramatic Growth
- Tampa Bay Business and Wealth (3/11/20)
- Mentoring Monday: Meet South Florida’s Bizwomen Mentors for 2020, featuring Jennifer O’Flannery Anderson, Ph.D.
- New Head Coach to Lead NSU Baseball Team, featuring Laz Gutierrez
- Sun Sentinel (2/21/20)
- It is Time to End Shark Finning, Op-Ed by President Dr. George Hanbury
- Sun Sentinel (2/25/20)
- When and Where to Go for Early Voting
- This Nova Southeastern University Basketball Star is Vying for this Coveted Award, featuring student Mark Mathews
- Miami Herald (3/2/20)
- South Florida 100, featuring Jennifer O’Flannery Anderson, Ph.D.
- Sun-Sentinel (3/27/20)
- NSU Full-Service Veterans Access Clinic Serves Vets – and their Families
- Sun-Sentinel (2/25/20)
- 2020 Hendry Health Fair Brings Out Large Crowd Today
- Southwest Florida Online (2/29/20)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
- Some Stories of Community Outreach Programs and Work From Miami-Area Medical Schools
- el Nuevo Herald (3/27/20)
- Study Finds Link Between Algae and and ALS, featuring research professor Deborah Mash
- The Miami Herald (2/28/20)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Snot Shoots 25 Feet, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (2/4/20)
- A Patient at a South Florida Hospital was Tested for Coronavirus. The Public Remains in the Dark, featuring Bindu Mayi, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- A Different Health Care Option, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (2/11/20)
- Women and Heart Disease, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (2/25/20)
- Infectious Disease Expert says Broward Residents Need to Take Coronavirus Precautions, featuring Bindu Mayi, M.Sc. Ph.D.
- WPLG (3/2/20)
- What Actually is COVID-19 and How You can Prevent It, featuring Bindu Mayi, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- Express Healthcare (3/5/20)
- Coronavirus in Florida. What’s Next?, featuring Bindu Mayi, MSc. Ph.D.
- Sun Sentinel (3/2/20)
- The Real Dos and Don’ts, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- WIOD (3/31/20)
Dr. Pallavi Patel College of Healthcare Sciences
- What You Should Know About Creatine, featuring Jose Antonio, Ph.D.
- Men’s Health (3/10/20)
College of Computing and Engineering
- As Home Technology Grows in Popularity, Cyber Criminals Find Creative Ways to Hack, featuring Yair Levy, Ph.D.
- WPLG (2/19/20)
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
The following media stories featured Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- Gaetz: Impeachment is a Democratic Addiction, WUWF (2/3/20)
- Florida Backs Biden as Voters Contend with Coronavirus Fall Out, WGCU (3/18/20); WLRN (3/17/20)
- South Florida’s March Election About More Than Just Picking Presidential Candidates, WLRN (2/17/20)
- Democratic Presidential Candidates Duke it out in New Hampshire, WDAE – 95.3, Tampa Bay (2/7/20)
College of Pharmacy
- Why Did You Become a Pharmacist?, featuring Andrea Levin, PharmD, BCACP
- Drug Topics (3/19/20)
College of Psychology
- Podcast: Male Survivors of Sexual Assault and Abuse, featuring Amy Ellis, Ph.D.
- Psych Central (3/3/20)
- Help for Hitting, featuring Deborah Glasser Schenck, Ph.D.
- Parents (3/5/20)
- Eating More Fiber Can Help You Get a Better Night’s Sleep, featuring Jamie Tarter, Ph.D., Gut Microbes and Sleep study
- Eating Well (3/10/20)
Fischler College of Education and the School of Criminal Justice
- Somerset Parkland Academy Charter School Names New Principal, featuring alumni Geyler Herrera Castro
- Parkland Talk (2/10/20)
- New Lake Tahoe Unified School District Superintendent is Whittel High Graduate, featuring alumni Todd Cutler, Ed.D.
- Dublin City Schools Gets First African-American Superintendent, featuring alumnus Fred Williams
Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography
- Experts: Invasive Lionfish Likely to Survive Disease, featuring Matthew Johnston, Ph.D.
- Alarming Test Results Show Shopping Cart Handles Can Have Incredibly High Levels of Bacteria, featuring Robert Smith, Ph.D.
- Healthy Holistic Living (2/11/20)
- These Mysterious ‘Devices’ Keep Washing up on Florida’s Beaches. Scientists are Concerned., featuring David Kerstetter, Ph.D.
- 3rd Annual Free Our Seas Art Festival and Earth Day Celebration
- Hollywood Gazette (3/5/20)
- Protecting Paradise: The Race to Protect Coral Reefs, featuring Karen Neely
- The Coral Ark That Hopes to Save Florida’s Ailing Reefs
- Atlas Obscura (2/12/20)
- Deep Sea Fish Seasonal Migration Route Discovered for First Time, featuring Rosanna Milligan, Ph.D.
- Coral Fellows Take on Local Issues, featuring Coral Fellows Program Administered by NSU
- NOAA (3/16/20)
- Bill Banning Sale of Shark Fins Primed for Final Senate Action, featuring Dr. Guy Harvey and NSU’s GHRI
- Florida Politics (3/5/20)
- A “Yes” Vote on Shark Fin Ban is a Vote for Florida Jobs, guest editorial by Dr. Guy Harvey
- Florida Politics (3/2/20)
- Sewer Main Break at George English Park Causes 80 Million Gallons of Raw Sewage to Flow into Waters, featuring Robert Smith, Ph.D.
- CBS4 Miami (2/17/20)
Shepard Broad College of Law
- As More Turn to Crowdfunding to Cover Unexpected Costs, Legal Experts Urge Caution, featuring Kathy Cerminara, J.D., J.S.D., LL.M.
- Dozens Suing Over Zantac Cancer Concerns, featuring Robert Jarvis, J.D., LL.M
- In Court, Hialeah Chief Heaped Praise on Tax Cheat with History of Clashes with Cops, featuring Bob Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- Miami Herald (3/2/20)
- The Fight for the Phillies Phanatic: Who Owns the Rights to an Iconic Mascot?, featuring Bob Jarivs, J.D., LLM
- A Knack for Finding the Dead, featuring Robert Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- The Week (3/7/20)
- Ron DeSantis May Illegally Appoint a Florida Supreme Court Justice, featuring Robert Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- Slate (4/1/20)
- Tommy Rizzo, 94 and Going Strong, featuring alumnus Tommy Rizzo
- Forever Young Magazine (3/25/20)
H. Wayne Huizenga College of Business & Entrepreneurship
- Be Systematic in Investing, Not Impulsive, featuring David Cho, Ph.D., and Emre Kuvvet, Ph.D.
- Today (2/29/20)
- Long-Term Investors Should Stay Away from Wynn Stock, featuring Albert Williams, Ph.D.
- InverstorPlace (4/1/20)
Mailman Segal Center for Human Development
- 11 Fun Activities for 1-year-olds, featuring Dean Roni Leiderman, Ph.D.
- Parents (3/5/20)
- America’s Got Talent Star Helps Mark 25 Year’s for Unicorn Children’s Foundation
- Palm Beach Post (3/22/20)
- New Prevalence Rate of Autism Warrants Public’s Attention, OpEd featuring Sue Kabot, Ed.D., CCC-SLP
- Sun Sentinel (4/1/20)
NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
- Bananas on the Wall, a Local Hero, and Throwaway Humans. Welcome to February in Miami, featuring Bonnie Clearwater
- The Miami Herald (2/5/20)
- Virtual Tours: Fort Lauderdale Museums Move Programs Online
- WLRN (3/23/20)
- South Florida Virtual and Streaming Experiences to Keep You Entertained While You’re Stuck at Home
- Sun Sentinel (3/31/20)
NSU University School
- Local Students Making a Difference with Germ Genie
- NBC 6 (3/5/20)