NSU IN THE NEWS is a snapshot of NSU media placements from April and early May 2020. The purpose of this recap is to keep you up-to-date on issues and media reports impacting the university and/or specific departments or centers. Click on the name of the media outlet to read their story – stories that appeared out of the South Florida media market are in red (some links may have expired after this page was created.)
For this time period:
- Potential Reach of stories related to NSU were circulated to approximately 30.2 million viewers;
- For Unique Visitors Per Month (online globally), the potential viewership was approximately 572.7 million;
- The estimated advertising value equivalency (AVE) of these stories is $1 million.
With the COVID-19 pandemic, NSU experts have been featured in numerous related stories, both print and broadcast. We have created a special section that features a few of the NSU-related COVID-19 stories; additional stories can be found in the “normal” long list below.
Please visit the NSU’s Newsroom section of the university’s main website to view additional press releases, stories and more created by your media relations team. We also encourage you to visit our Newsroom and subscribe to our RSS Feed so you can receive each of our news releases in real-time via email when they are distributed.
- College Coaches Get Creative During Pandemic, featuring Jordan Fee
- Allied News (4/9/20)
- NSU Could Re-open in Two Months
- South Florida Colleges Receive Hundreds of Millions in Coronavirus Relief Aid
- Sun Sentinel (5/2/20)
- Coronavirus antibody tests are coming, but don’t weigh the results too heavily yet
- Sun-Sentinel (4/21/20)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
- She’s 97 with Diabetes, Heart Disease and More. Coronavirus Should Have Taken Her. Instead, She’s a Miracle, featuring Johannes Vieweg, M.D.
- Sun Sentinel (4/14/20)
- Health Care Workers Turn to Go Fund Me to Pay for Vital Safety Equipment, featuring NSU MD students
- Huffington Post (4/24/20)
Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
The following stories feature Bindu Mayi, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- Could Expanded Testing Bring Life Back to Normal Sooner?
- WINK TV (4/2/20)
- Why is This One (Virus) Different?
- iHeart Radio (4/7/20)
- Why Florida’s Changing Peak Date Could Be a Good Thing
- WINK TV (4/14/20)
- More Coronavirus Cases Discharged from Southwest Florida Hospitals
- WINK TV (4/14/20)
- Can Contact Tracing Slow or Stop the Spread of COVID-19?
- WINK TV (4/16/20)
- Health Officials Say Surge in Health Care Workers Needed to Safely Get Back to Normal
- WINK TV (4/18/20)
- Coronavirus in Florida: Residents Wonder When State Deaths Will Truly Hit Their Peak
- WPLG (4/20/20)
- Lee County Commissioner Says New COVID-19 Projections are a Sign of Hope
- WINK TV (4/20/20)
- Just How Many People Have Recovered from Coronavirus?
- WINK TV (4/20/20)
- Coronavirus is Ravaging New York, and Florida Could be Next. Are We Ready?, featuring Kelley Davis, Ph.D.
- 2020 National Awards for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice Announced by IPEC and USPHS, featuring Luzan Phillpotts, DO, MPH
- The Unspoken COVID-19 Toll on the Elderly: Loneliness, featuring Linda Maurice, MA
- On the Front Lines, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D., FAAP, FACEP
- iHeart Radio (4/14/20)
- Searching for Origins,featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, M.D.
- WIOD (4/21/20)
- Putting Off Treatment Based Off Fear, featuring Deborah Ann Mulligan, MD
- WIOD (4/28/20)
College of Pharmacy
- New Diabetes Medications, Technologies You Should Know About, featuring Andrea Levin, PharmD, BCACP
- Drug Topics (4/8/20)
College of Optometry
- OD Educators Unite – And Go Online, featuring Chandra Mickles, O.D.
- Review of Optometry (4/14/20)
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Slight Advantage Goes to Joe Biden Over Donald Trump in Florida Poll, featuring Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- Sun Sentinel(4/8/20)
- Obama Endorses Biden, featuring Charles Zelden, Ph.D.
- WUWF (4/14/20)
- 13 Doctoral Women of Color Thriving Amid Missing Graduation Due to COVID-19, featuring two CAHSS NSU students
- Forbes (4/14/20)
College of Psychology
- Is Social Isolation Getting to You? Here’s What You Need to Know and What Experts Say to Do, featuring Tara Jungersen, Ph.D., LMHC, CCMHC, NCC
- Feeling Exhausted Right Now? How Coronavirus is Putting Americans in a Collective Shock and Trauma Response and How to Best Cope, featuring Steven Gold, Ph.D.
- Parade Magazine (4/7/20)
- Need Someone to Talk to? Here’s How to Join NSU’s Free Mental Health Workshops Online
- Staying Sober During COVID-19: How Music and Recovery Unplugged Can Help
- Coronavirus Florida: How Will Mass-scale Tourism Fare When the Economy Reopens?, featuring Kayla Thayer, Ph.D.
- Palm Beach Post (4/24/20)
- People Still Worried About Coronavirus Amid Reopening Efforts, featuring Scott Poland, Ed.D.
- WIOD (4/28/20)
Fischler College of Education and the School of Criminal Justice
- Amy Kennedy Endorsed by New Jersey Education Association, featuring alumni AmyKennedy
- Insider NJ (4/28/20)
Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography
- Scientists Discover that Deep Sea Fish Migrate, Too, featuring Rosanna Milligan, Ph.D.
- Missoulian (4/1/20)
- 10 Years After BP Deepwater Horizon Disaster, Oceana Finds No Lessons Learned From Worst Oil Spill in U.S. History, featuring Tracey Sutton, Ph.D.
- Data Collection During Social Distancing, featuring David Kerstetter, Ph.D.
- American Scientist (4/16/20)
- Sea Turtles Able to Nest in Peace at COVID-19 Empties Beaches, featuring Derek Burkholder, Ph.D.
- April is Prime Time to Scuba Dive and Spear Lion Fish, featuring NSU Lion Fish Symposium
- The Miami Herald (4/18/20)
- COVID-19 Restrictions May Boost Leatherback Sea Turtle Nesting, featuring Derek Burkholder, Ph.D.
- Smithsonian Magazine (4/24/20)
- Will Florida be Lost Forever to the Climate Crisis?, featuring NSU’s “Noah’s Ark” Project
- The Guardian (4/21/20)
Shepard Broad College of Law
The following stories featured Robert Jarvis, J.D., LLM
- Jarvis Wins Journal Writing Award
- The Florida Bar (4/13/20)
- Jeffrey Epstein Victims Left Empty-Handed Again by Ruling
- Palm Beach Post (4/15/20)
- How Will Sheriff Gregory Tony No-Confidence Vote Affect the 2020 Election?
- WPLG (4/21/20)
- Coronavirus Florida: Bartend Sues Gov. DeSantis over “100 Percent Arbitrary” Closings, featuring Robert Jarvis, J.D., LL.M.
- Palm Beach Post (5/1/20)
- Trump’s EPA Uses the Coronavirus Crisis to Mask Environmental Deregulation and Suspend Enforcement, featuring Joel Mintz, J.D., LL.M.
- American Constitution Society (4/7/20)
- DOJ Lets Companies Skip Paying Penalties During Pandemic, featuring Joel Mintz, J.D., LL.M.
NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
- Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District Releases Virtual Programming
- Fort Lauderdale Daily (4/15/20)
- The Best Miami Art Experiences You Can Enjoy From Home
- Thrillist (4/20/20)
- Art Apart, Art Together
- Miami Herald (4/25/20)
- The District Help You Reimagine a Stay-cation
- Riverwalk Magazine (4/20/20)
- Where Women and Artists of Color Set the Tone, featuring Francie Bishop Good
- New York Times (4/24/20)
Alvin Sherman Library
- Broward Humane Society and NSU Library Team Up to Host Wags & Tales Story Time
- Coral Springs Talk (4/30/20)
NSU Palm Beach Regional Campus
- Florida Post-Secondary Institutions Donate Ventilators to Local Hospitals
NSU Fort Myers Regional Campus
- Deciding to Lift the Shutdown, featuring Frederick Paola, M.D., J.D.
- News Press (4/24/20)